Friday 12 April 2013

In what ways does your media product; use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


The media products I have created use the forms and conventions of the “adventure” genre; all five of my products have met the codes and conventions that make up this genre. The codes and conventions that create the form of the adventure genre for a film trailer include; booming music, film title at end of trailer, narration and fast paced music.

My film trailers all have made use of the codes and conventions that make this genre, the use of loud booming music was used to create the action and adventure themed sound track to build up the hype and suspense that adventure film trailers try to make. I had created the sound track with the combination of several music tracks from the band “Two Steps from Hell” and the theme song from the popular game “Skyrim”, I spent several hours to create the sound tracks present in my film trailers by using my editing software, Sony Vegas movie studio HD platinum 11.0, to use selected segments of the tracks and formed the music for my trailers which also follows the convention of film trailers having fast paced music for the building of excitement and thrill.

Film trailers of this particular genre are conventionally fast paced and full of quick action shots that display the main cast for the audience to have a basic understanding of who the main characters are, my trailers have followed this by having quick shots most of which are action shots displaying the thrill and excitement that the film has to offer the audience. The convention that adventure film trailers have many action shots is used, however I have also broke this convention by creating a more abstract part to my trailer because I have made the cinematic ending to the trailer on the one-minute and two-minute trailers. I have done this because it delivers a more mysterious and appealing ending to the trailers which attract the audience’s attention more, this has been proven by my audience feedback where several have stated that was one of their favourite parts of the trailer because it was different and broke the conventions of a conventional film trailer of this genre.  

The codes and conventions don’t apply the same to the ancillary texts due to the difference between print and video texts; however the ancillary texts do follow codes and conventions that are set for a film poster and film magazine front cover, by basing my front cover design on the film magazine “Empire” I was able to create a front cover magazine that represents the adventure genre by the use of a dark background and an explosion in the background to create an image that has a thrilling and action appearance making it more appropriate for the purpose of presenting the film.

The film poster was made in a similar way to the front cover, by using the websites “IMDB” and “Empire” I was able to analyse the codes and conventions of the adventure film posters and create a poster that was similar to the front cover but made more appropriate for the use as a film poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment